Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Recognition Natural Craving: The Backward Quote Page

This week, I decided to write a quote from my favorite book in reverse:

“But no artist, I now realize, can be satisfied with art alone. There is a natural craving for recognition which cannot be gain-said.”

     Coming from the novel And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, the quote comes from the villain of the story, talking about why he commits his crimes. He believes people need congratulations or a pat on the back for their work, or else they would not do the work. I feel like this idea would work well in a short film. It's a great quote that shows two different types of artists: those in it for the creativity, and those in it for fame.
 

     The film could be created as if in reverse, allowing the events of the story to unfold backwards to the audience. Viewers would see the climax of the story before the details leading up to it, which I think could be interesting if it was enveloped in a mystery of sorts. The concept could possibly unfold similarly to this early trailer from the 2011 game, Dead Island. Despite the lackluster game itself, the trailer was an emotional story in itself. Perhaps a video set on the UPJ campus of a class day in reverse?
     I have also attempted to do something similar with one of my own films, One Last Time. I would be interested in trying to do something similar to this again, but with more of the emotional backdrop of the Dead Island trailer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment